My hospital and baby bag
Seriously when one hasn't had a baby you don't even know where to begin with what to pack when it came to looking for appropriate lists of what to take to Hospital and or Birth care.
Google will tell you that you need everything but the kitchen sink?! and then on the other spectrum my midwifes list she gave me was very minimal so I started by having a look at quite a few lists online, pregnancy blogs, antenatal class usually provides one as a hand out, midwife etc so you can have a general idea of what is suggested.
But above all the best thing I could have done was ask my friend who has recently just had her baby girl, she was able to tell me what she took and I found it beyond helpful, there is so much re assurance in asking someone who has recently gone through birth themselves and not to mention someone who you feel extremely relatable to!
Big THANKYOU to Kaitlin for kindly sending me through her list along with some super helpful tips! Check out her beautiful Instagram filled with new born yumminess @kaitlinrobertson_
I'm planning to deliver at North Shore Hospital and then transfer to Birth care in Walkworth.
My due date is THREE WEEKS from today 23rd October, but really she could come at any time now so I feel assured that everything is packed and ready to go!
I realise that whatever you decide to take to the hospital with you is pretty personal and will differ between everyone, So I have tried to think of everything that will cater to my own needs and of course the practical essentials too!
I'm usually one to completely over pack in any circumstance so I have really tried my best to achieve a happy medium when packing for baby and I :)
Clothing and essentials for yourself
- 2x Nursing Bras: I recently got fitted at bendon which I highly recommend! They say you should be able to fit a fist inside the cup when trying on to allow room once your milk comes in
- 2 x Nursing Singlets (I got mine from the wharehouse and they are awesome for around $15)
- Button up sleep shirt (My peach one is from peter alexander and its oversized for comfort)
- A light Weight Robe great to feel as though you can easily cover up when the nurses are helping you feed (so I have been told) My striped on is from the wharehouse super stretchy and comfy!)
- 2x Face cloths
- 2x pairs socks
- Phone Charger
- Jandals for the shower
-Flushable wipes (the ones pictured are not but need to get some!) really helpful when going to the toilet apparently
- 1x pack maternity pads (I've been told you want to get the ones with wings)
- Breast pads (Abby Plested recommended I get these Manuka Honey ones she said they were an absolute life saver for sore/cracked nipples while in the first stages of nursing and apparently even better when stored in the fridge...THANKS GF)
- Disposable Breast pads I have put in three Avent packs these are the ones that you get given free from your midwife/obstetrician so why not throw them on in!
- Big Black Granny Undies the bigger the better
- 2x Comfy Trackpants: Never in my life have I been able to pull off the "drop crotch" trackies because I have such short legs that the crotch literally hangs to my knees...not the most flattering BUT during pregnancy this style has been the absolute best because I just hitch them up over the bump practically at underarm level and OHMYGOD so comfy! Winning. DISCLAIMER* I always wear a long top to coverup this extreme fashion crime haha
- Outfit to go home in I am packing a long linen button up shirt and a cardigan paired with track pants (Probs wear the shoes you came to the hospital in aye....unless you went bare foot no judgement girl!)
SNACKS IM ALL ABOUT THE SNACKS!
Now I wasn't really too sure what to take here...lots of sensible people will tell you to take nutritional snacks....but I haven't really been overly healthy in the last trimester so I can't imagine Im going to want to be chowing down on some paleo/vegan bliss balls when I've just had a baby SO.....
- Biscuits These ILOVEBAKING biscuits are my absolute weakness and struggle to not end up with a bag in my trolley these days so I figured TREATYOSELF when you have just popped a baby out your Vag
- Lactating Biscuits: Two packs of biscuits who am I? Not necessary but I was kindly gifted these Franjos ones at my baby shower so of course I'll be taking them with! They seem like all the rage in the fancy baby shops these days so not mad at all!
- Water bottle: So your man/support person can remind you to keep hydrated...your having a baby here so that becomes their job!
- Lollies of choice: Obviously not for when Im in labour but Im starting to feel really unhealthy here but again I honestly just feel as though this is what I will want to have on hand....options are always great and If I don't eat them josh happily will.
- Nuts: Not gonna lie I had to put something semi healthy in right?! haha but no I think nuts will be great as a light snack
- Nut bars: I mostly packed these for Josh cos I don't want him eating all my biscuits
* If I am at home when I go into labour I will try and remember to throw in some fruit if I can*
*I've tried to pack as much travel sized items as I can to keep things compact*
- Tooth brush and Tooth paste
- Comb and a Hair tie
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Body Wash
- Lip Balm
- Nipple Cream
- Skincare: Face wash, Moisturiser, Eye cream, Night cream and an under eye mask (not at all necessary but I had this in my cupboard and thought why not just pop it in if I feel like my tired eyes need some restoration!) Mini mascara incase of any visitors
- Massage oil (I've loved this one from nature baby on my tummy in the last few weeks, could be nice for josh to rub on my back in labour)
- Facial water spray: Someone told me that having their partner spray this on their face during labour was an absolute god send so I thought yep thats going in there! Especially after having the hospital tour and seeing how hot the birthing suites were?! I was sweating bullets and not even in labour!
Now here is where I really had to rein myself in from packing up the whole damn nursery! Especially as so many people will tell you don't pack too many of said things like nappies etc as the hospital will have a supply on hand. And baby clothes...how are you supposed to know how many times your new born little bubba will need changing?? Mine will be coming out a diva I just know it so I packed more to be on the safe side
- 3x muslin wraps
- 1x baby blanket
- 1x new born booties
- 4x new born nappies
- 6x small muslin /burp cloths/ face cloths
- Pacifier (clip not necessary)
- Electric & manual pump (Im not sure how necessary this is, some lists will tell you to take a pump and others not but this was one thing I thought If I needed I didn't want to go without)
- 1x Bottle
- Hat, Mittens and sock booties
- 1x New Born Outfit
- 1x Going home outfit
- A few extra cotton basic onesies
- Travel size baby wipes as the hospital will have some
- Mini samples of baby toiletries like sudo cream, bepanthen, baby wash, moisturiser (I didn't see the point in carrying all the full size items I have bought myself)
Don't forget to pack your Birth plan and Pregnancy record book!
I have also kept a few handouts included with these on breathing tips for labour, Might be helpful for josh to read over in case he forgets what we learned in antenatal ;)
So there it is ladies....I'll be completely honest and admit I am a little nervous putting this out there because it is different for everyone and no one has the same needs, but as a first time mama I know I have a lot of you amazing ladies following me are going through this beautiful journey too and GIRL we are all friends!
Like Kaitlin helping me out by sharing her list...sometimes its nice to hear advice from someone you know rather than old Susan the midwife on google.
Don't be shy I love reading your comments if you have any on this, I have ADORED the support I have recieved on social media the past 9 months so thank you all for making me smile
I have a few more baby posts up my sleeve in the next three weeks for you so keep your eyes peeled for those
x x x
2/10/2017 08:30:47 pm
So proud of you xxxx
3/10/2017 04:14:15 am
Thanks Beautiful! x x x
2/10/2017 09:27:51 pm
<3 this so much! You are going to be the best mama! xx
3/10/2017 04:14:53 am
Thanks Honey! So are you x x x
Leave a Reply.
Freelance hairstylist, Makeup Artist and beauty blogger based in Auckland. New zealand